Mental Health Issues in Long Term Care
April 26 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
The goal of this symposium is to help long-term care clinicians become more proficient in meeting the needs of the mentally ill residents in their facilities.
- Determine length of psychiatric medication treatment based on available evidence.
- Assist family members of residents who suffer from dementia and psychiatric disorders.
- Review the basic components of motivational interviewing.
- Meet the needs of residents in long-term care who have personality disorders.
|8 am||Registration and Breakfast|
|8:30 am||How Long Should Patients Stay on Psychiatric Medication?
Douglas Steenblock, MD, Bureau Chief, Mental Health Services, Iowa Veterans Home
|9:40 am||Assisting Family Members
Ed Bulver, LISW, Clinical Social Worker, Iowa Veterans Home
|10:50 am||Motivational Interviewing
Michael Flaum, MD, President, American Association of Community Psychiatrists and Clinical Professor Emeritus, Department of Psychiatry, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
|1 pm||Personality Disorders in Long Term Care
Kyle S. Page, PhD, ABPP, Geriatric Psychologist, Central Iowa VA Health Care System
Allison Hahn, PsyD, Geriatric Psychologist, Central Iowa VA Health Care System
|2:40 pm||Multidisciplinary Panel Discussion|
|3:10 pm||Group Activity|
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) do not have any financial relationship(s) with commercial interests to disclose.
- Jilisa Bollhoefer, Planning Committee Member
- Ed Bulver, LISW, Speaker
- Michael Flaum, MD, Speaker
- Allison Hahn, PsyD, Speaker
- Kyle S. Page, PhD, ABPP, Speaker
- Melissa Sienknecht, Planning Committee Member
- Douglas Steenblock, MD, Activity Director and Speaker
Special thanks to our partners who help make this conference possible.